What Does This Mean To Me?It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.
Running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 in your environment after their end of support date may expose your company to potential risks, such as:
- Security & Compliance Risks: Unsupported and unpatched environments are vulnerable to security risks. It's a fact that Windows XP users are 6 times more likely to be hacked, and it is speculated that the Windows XP infection rate may jump 66% after April 8. This may result in an officially recognized control failure by an internal or external audit body, leading to suspension of certifications, and/or public notification of the organization’s inability to maintain its systems and customer information.
- Lack of Independent Software Vendor (ISV) & Hardware Manufacturers support: A recent industry report from Gartner Research suggests "many independent software vendors (ISVs) are unlikely to support new versions of applications on Windows XP in 2011; in 2012, it will become common." And it may stifle access to hardware innovation: Gartner Research further notes that in 2012, most PC hardware manufacturers will stop supporting Windows XP on the majority of their new PC models.
What Options Do I Have?
- Baroan Technologies has arranged a special promotion with Lenovo to assist with the upgrade and migration process of our clients. Lenovo has made possible a Baroan Technologies ONLY exclusive deal. We identified several desktop and laptop models that Lenovo is offering special pricing on to OUR client base ONLY!
- In addition, Baroan Technologies has created a special flat fee price for the installation and setup of the new workstations in your office.
- Microsoft has a service called Office 365. Office 365 has the great option of installing Office Professional Plus for a small monthly fee of $12 per user per month. This will allow you to install Office Professional Plus locally on the workstation as well as on up to four additional devices for each user that signs up. This includes their home computers. There will be computer based training for the new Office Professional Plus software as well as support included with this monthly fee. What’s best about this option is that once you are on this service, you will NEVER have to worry about having an outdated version as you will be entitled to the newest available Office application when it comes out.
What Will It Cost Me?Contact us to find out. Here's what you get in the package we've put together:
Desktop (M72e): Small form factor case, i5 Intel Processor, 4GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive, DVD Read/Write Drive, Dual screen capable video card and Windows 7 Professional 64Bit, with a Windows 8 Professional license included for when you are ready to use Windows 8. This system will also come with 3 years of onsite warranty.
Laptop (T430): i5 Intel Processor, 4GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive, 14” HD LED Screen, DVD Read/Write Drive, Camera built in, Blue Tooth and Finger Print Reader., 6 Cell Battery, Windows 7 Professional 64Bit, with a Windows 8 Professional license included for when you are ready to use Windows 8. This system will also come with 3 years of depot warranty.
Office 365: Office Professional Plus: The cost is per month per user for a 12 month agreement or a month to month option.
Installation/Migration: Baroan Technologies will install and configure the workstation on your network with basic network configurations, all Windows Updates that are available, bring over the user profile, join the workstation to the domain and install Office Professional Plus on it. All this for a flat fee.
Call us at 201-796-0404 to find out the total cost to refresh your technology.
Frequently Asked Questions:Q: Why Lenovo?
A: In the last 12 months, Lenovo has been moving up through the market and establishing itself as the leader in the PC market. They have been moving up due to their superior build quality and sheer determination to make the most resilient products in the market. It is for this reason that Baroan Technologies decided to work with Lenovo to ensure that the system we implement is a high quality product. Some of the other manufacturers have lost their reliability and have had poor performance with several models.
Q: Why are you recommending Office 365 – Professional Plus and NOT just purchasing the Office software with the new workstation?
A: When you buy a version of the Office software with a new computer, you will ONLY be able to use it with that new workstation and you will NOT be able to install it on any other devices. After a few years, you will need to upgrade again to a new version of Office. When this happens, some companies do not do the upgrade due to the price constraint that they run into when they have to consider upgrading many versions at once for continuity. Because of this, it is a much better option to purchase the Office suite for a small monthly fee and be able to install it on other devices that the one user uses. In addition, by subscribing to this plan, you will NEVER be behind with an Office version again because you will be entitled to the latest version as they come out.
Q: Why is the installation only going to include the network and Office application as well as profiles? Will this mean that my normal applications will not be installed?
A: In the last 15 years of service, we have found that every client is unique with their needs. Some clients have no additional applications other than Microsoft Office while others have many applications that are specific to their needs. In order for Baroan Technologies to provide a low flat fee cost for installation, we will ONLY be able to install the basic setups that most of the computers will need. For those clients that only use Microsoft Office applications, no further work will need to be done.
For those clients that have a need for additional applications to get installed, we will provide you with a list of currently installed applications so you can tell us which ones you will need to have installed. For those, we will need to have the software and licenses ready for us to install and that time to install these will be billed separately. This is the only way we saw that would best meet the needs of our client’s diverse setup requirements and still allow us the capability to provide you with a low cost installation fee.
It's sooner than you think. Check out Microsoft's countdown.