Every time you open Microsoft Word, you should get a blank page. That blank page is called Normal.dot. If you open Microsoft Word, and you you get a gray screen instead of a blank page, then your Normal.dot file has somehow been corrupted. This may cause other issues in Word as well.
OK – so, how do you get rid of the grey page and get back to a blank page? Simply delete your Normal.dot file. The next time you start Microsoft Word, you will have a blank page.
Steps to deleting the Normal.dot file:
1. In My Computer, click on the Tools menu in the top menu bar
3. Click on Folder Options...
4. Click on the View Tab
5. Click on the little button next to "Show hidden files and folders" (in the Advanced Settings box)
6. Click OK
7. In Local Disk (C:), Double click on the Documents and Settings folder (or the Users folder if using Windows 7)
9. Double click on the folder with your user name
10. Double click on Application Data. (That folder will be dimmed)
11. Double click on the Microsoft folder
12. Double click on the Templates folder
13. Right click on the Normal.dot file and delete it
14. Now you need to hide your hidden folders again - Click on the Tools menu in the top menu bar
16. Click on Folder Options
17. Click on the View tab
18. Click on the little button next to "Do not show hidden files and folders" (in the Advanced Settings box)
19. Click on OK
Close all the open windows and you are done! When you start Word again, you will have a new blank document - a new Normal.dot.